daclogoclearcolortssdac

December 13, 2017

Bourland Cemetery

12 September 1981

BOURLAND CEMETERY

KELLER, TEXAS

Hon. Philip Livingston Chapter, Fort Worth, TX

 

Marker No. 470

 

A Texas Historical Marker sponsored by Honorable Philip Livingston Chapter of Fort Worth was dedicated at Bourland Cemetery in Keller, Tarrant County, Texas on September 12, 1981.

The dedication was conducted by Mrs. Robert R. Truitt, TSDAC State Chairman, and Master of Ceremonies. The invocation was led by Mr. A. H. Kennemer, Pastor, Church of Christ, Keller. Mr. Bill Blevins, President of the Bourland Cemetery Board introduced the Bourland Cemetery Board and did the Recognition of Pioneer Descendents. The history of the cemetery was given by Mr. Michael R. Knox. Mr. Duane Gage, Chairman of Tarrant County Historical Commission gave the Dedication of the Marker. Miss Frances Edwards, TSDAC State Regent, and Mrs. Pinkney J. Brown, Hon. Philip Livingston Chapter Regent, did the unveiling of the marker. The benediction was given by Mr. Glen Jones, Pastor, First Methodist Church, Keller. Marker number 470 reads:

“Aurelius Delphus Bourland (1840-1904), a North Carolina native and a veteran of the Civil War, bought land here in 1873. A farmer and Primitive Baptist preacher, he first used this site as a family cemetery. The earliest marked grave is that of his grandson A. Delphus White, who died in 1886. In 1899 Bourland sold 2.5 acres, including the grave sites, to the residents of Keller (1.5 mi SW) for use as a public burial ground. Additional land was given by the families of Bourland in 1947 and A.B. Harmonson (1891-1967) in 1977. The gateway was built by the Works Progress Administration in 1935. (1981)”

 

Bourland Cemetery Entrance – Marker in center