daclogoclearcolortssdac

October 20, 2017

Caney Cemetery

03 JUN 1973
CANEY CEMETERY
BAY CITY, TEXAS

caney-cemetery

Caney Cemetery marker – 1973.

The historical marker placed by the Texas Society was dedicated on June 3, 1973, at the Caney Cemetery near Bay City in Matagorda County in southeast Texas. The marker was the culmination of the State Regent’s Project of Mrs. Martin D. Wolfe.

The cemetery was in use perhaps as early as 1826 or 1827, and in June, 1873, it was deeded to the Caney Church. The l00-year-old cemetery was the burial place of a number of early residents of the area. The marker was unveiled by descendants of John Matthews, a prominent Texan of early days who was buried in the Caney Cemetery. More than one hundred area residents and visitors were present for the dedication ceremony.

scan0052

Caney Cemetery marker – today.