daclogoclearcolortssdac

August 19, 2017

Morton Cemetery

07 MAR 1966
MORTON CEMETERY
RICHMOND, TEXAS

newScan0051

The Morton Cemetery near Richmond, Texas, was the scene of a marker dedication held on March 7, 1966, during the annual State Assembly. John and Jerry Barnett, members of the Texas Society of the Children of the American Colonists, served as Color Bearers during the impressive ceremony, which was closed poignantly with taps by a bugler.

The Fort Bend County cemetery had been in use since 1822 and was the resting place of a number of famous early Texans. including Jane Long, the “Mother of Texas”; Mirabeau B. Lamar, “Father of Texas Education” and second president of the Republic of Texas; John Gillespie, who came with Stephen F. Austin when he founded his colony; “Deaf’ Smith, famous Texas scout and hero of the Battle of San Jacinto; and numerous Confederate Army veterans. This marking project was an activity of Mrs. Grady Kirby’s term as State Regent.

morton